While browsing through nerdy, book lover blogs, I came across an interesting post. The Hiding Spot is doing a Feminist Reads Challenge, something I am always eager to participate in. The challenge requires that the books feature a strong female lead character, positive support for the female gender, and a basic (or intensive) support of feminism as a whole. There are three challenge levels: easy (5 books), medium (5-10 books), and hard (10+ books). As we are now in August, I will feel most comfortable going the easy route. If I weren’t back at school, I’d go medium!
The books I hope to read (or reread) are:
1. The Handmaid’s Tale, Margaret Atwood
2. The Diary of a Young Girl, Anne Frank
3. Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
4. How To Be A Woman, Caitlin Moran
5. The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath
(and bonus books, just in case)
6. Alanna: The First Adventure, Tamora Pierce
7. How The Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents, Julia Alvarez
I’ll update my Books To Read 2013 list to include these. In fact, I think I have to rework the choices on my list! School is a priority, however, I have six weeks off school before Fall Quarter starts. Hopefully, I can read a book per week.